Thursday, December 5, 2013

There Is No Such Thing As Coincidence



There is no such thing as coincidence. G-d puts things in my life for a reason. My sister keeps telling me to write so I can inspire others. My friends laugh when I tell them stories about comments I get at work. I thought about writing, but I never did it. Until today at work when I got three comments about my tichel (hair covering) within 15 minutes. It was no coincidence. It was material for my first blog post. So, here I am.

Thank G-d, I got married about four months ago. After I got married, I started covering my hair in accordance with Jewish law. I cover my hair with scarves, tichels, and hats rather than with a wig. I had been working at my job for about two years before I got married. So when I walked into work with my hair covered, it was very obvious.

I work as a school psychologist in a high school about 70 miles outside of Los Angeles. Even though it’s only 70 miles, those miles are enough to have essentially no Jewish community. So people are not aware that Jewish women cover their hair when they get married. The school where I work has about 3,200 students and a large staff of teachers, administrators, secretaries, maintenance staff, security, etc. Most of these people had no idea why I was now covering my hair.

Within the first few days of covering my hair, I told my coworkers who I have the most interaction with the reason why I now covering my hair. Then the questions and comments started from the rest of the staff and students. And I loved all of them!

One teacher I work with said to me, “I googled it and figured out why you cover your hair. That’s so interesting.”  One secretary told me that I do such a good job of matching my hair coverings to my outfits and then asked me why I’m now covering my hair. I explained that a Jewish woman’s hair takes on a different, spiritual state after she gets married. And that my husband sees my hair, so it is special for him. She responded by saying, “Wow. I just got goose bumps.”

There were a lot of questions from students. I wasn’t sure how to handle this because I try to keep a boundary between details of my personal life and the students I work with. Most of the time my answer was, “It’s my new look.” A few of my students weren’t satisfied with this answer. After a meeting with a student and a parent, the student came into my office and said, “Me and my mom really want to know why you’re covering your hair now.” So I told her.

Students must have been asking their teachers, too. Because one of my student’s came in and said to me, “My teacher said you’re Jewish so that’s why you cover your hair.” So much for boundaries! But I don’t mind. I just said “yes” and continued with the counseling session.

As I said earlier, nothing is a coincidence. When I started this job over two years ago, I was frustrated about my long commute and not being able to find a closer job. Before I started covering my hair, most of the school staff didn’t know I was Jewish (except for the few who figured it out after I wasn’t at work for so many days during the beginning of the year because of the holidays). But, now that I cover my hair, people have asked questions and now know that I’m Jewish. Now I realize some of the reasons why I have this job.

G-d has given me the opportunity to be a Kiddush Hashem; to represent Jewish people in a positive light. I’m the first Jewish person some of these students have ever met. I might be the first Jewish person some of my coworkers have close interaction with. Today, a student said to me, “How was your Hannukah? I didn’t know you were Jewish.” I told him I had a good Hannukah and asked him how he found out that I’m Jewish. He said, “My teacher told me. She said, ‘Why do you think she wears that thing on her head?’ ” The student then told me that he used to make “Jew jokes”, but he isn’t going to anymore because now he’s actually met a Jew. He then asked me if I have ancestors who died in the Holocaust.

And, more than that, G-d has given me the opportunity to elevate the places where I work. Before me, I wonder if anyone ever said a bracha over food on the school campus. Before me, I wonder if anyone ever listened to Torah classes or read Jewish articles (which I sometimes do during my lunch break). Through the brachot I say and the words of Torah I read and listen to, the space where I work is becoming a space where G-d’s presence now exists.

I am so thankful that, in this life situation, G-d has led me to be able to see some of the reasons why I have such a long commute to work. I just wish I could see the reasons for so many other things that happen. I’m optimistic, though, that there is a reason, even though I may not always understand or see it.

6 comments:

  1. Great job, welcome to the blogging world, happy to have another friend participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a blog. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! This is such an inspiring post, both on the idea of hashgacha, and also for hair covering. The reactions you're getting from your students and co-workers are just epic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rebecca :) I came across your blog via Andrea's Wrapunzel. I love that you're writing. I'm in a very similar position: Jew in the "working world", only wearing scarves just trying to be a kiddush Hashem :) I just started a 365 project where I'll be documenting my scarves for the next year which has been a fun project. It's lovely to "meet" you, and to meet another like-minded lady in the universe :) Would be lovely to connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I just checked out your blog, and it's so great! Project 365 is such a great idea! Look forward to seeing more! Thanks for your message.

      Delete