Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Elevating the Ordinary


Last week, I walked out of my office, saw a rainbow (picture above), and said the bracha you're supposed to say when you see a rainbow. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time a bracha has been made over a rainbow at the school where I work. I can look at the things in life as physical things without a spiritual component, or I can attempt to use the physical things in my surroundings as a way to bring G-dliness down to our physical world. When I said a bracha over the rainbow, the pavement I stood on as I said it took on a different, spiritual state. The pavement wasn't just pavement. It was a phsyical thing allowing me to do a mitzvah.

Speaking of the spiritual, my husband and I are going to Israel for a couple weeks! Even though I know that Israel is a place visited by people of all religions, I think of it as a Jewish place. But, when coworkers have asked me what I'm doing over break and I say I'm going to Israel, one person said, "Oh, so you're going for Xmas?" In another situation, I was answering a coworkers question about why I cover my hair. I also said that I'm going to Israel over break, and I'm excited to buy some new hair coverings there, since I've heard they have some great ones. She asked me, "So, what religion is that?"I told her I cover my hair and that I'm going to Israel, but she still didn't assume I was Jewish. I liked that! I like that people perceive Israel as an inclusive place where people of all religions can go.

We got a new secretary at work. With all new co-workers, the conversations about why I cover my hair and what kosher means have begun. One question I loved was, "So, since you're Jewish, does your husband have a long beard?" I explained that he doesn't.

So, me and my non-bearded husband are off to Israel! Can't wait to share my experiences with you when I return! And, if you have any prayers you wish for me to say in Israel, please feel free to let me know!

Like what you read? Like my Facebook page !

No comments:

Post a Comment