Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mindfulness: Living in the Present

I was asked to give a presentation at work about using mindfulness in schools. I love incorporating mindfulness into my work as a school psychologist. I've presented on this topic a few times before, but this is my first time presenting since I started covering my hair. Also, my audience would be a nearby school district where I don't work, so it's a group of people I haven't met before. As I was getting ready this morning, I was trying to find a hair covering to wear that would look professional and appropriate for the presentation. I tried one on and asked my husband if it matches. He said it didn't, but he said he thought I have another one that would match. I told him I wore that one yesterday. He said, "So what?" I said, "I can't wear the same hair covering two days in a row!" My husband laughed and said, "You have to put that comment in your blog!"

So what is mindfulness? Mindfulness is paying attention to the present moment and being aware of everything that is happening in that moment. Mindfulness can be done through explicit practices such as meditation and yoga. Mindfulness can also be done in a less explicit way, such as adopting a generally mindful approach to life and applying the principles and techniques of mindfulness to daily activities. For example, have you ever noticed that you drive from point A to point B, but don't remember actually driving there? You can try a mindful approach to driving, such as noticing everything while you drive. Notice the feeling of the steering wheel in your hands. Notice the feel of the car chair that you're sitting on. This allows us to be present in the moment rather than worrying and thinking about all of the things we have to do later that day. Why is mindfulness important? Because it helps us slow down and enjoy life. It helps with feelings of anxiety, which can then turn to feelings of depression. If you're interested in learning more about mindfulness, I recommended checking out  UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center

I was first introduced to mindfulness in graduate school when I took a course in it offered through the health center. Since then, I try to incorporate mindfulness into my daily life. I tend to walk around the school where I work very fast because I'm so busy. One student always used to say, "Where are you off to so fast?" I now try to walk in a mindful way. I pay attention to the feeling of the pavement under my feet. I also try to be mindful and not get too irritated as I drive into the school parking lot along with the 16 year old high school students driving their cars, which can sometimes be a scary driving experience!

A very memorable mindfulness experience was a five day mindfulness retreat I went to in New Mexico at Vallecitos Mountain Ranch. The retreat was a silent retreat, so I had the chance to be with my thoughts and practice mindfulness in a beautiful environment. And, because it was silent, I got some interesting looks about the kosher food I brought along, but no one was able to ask me about it  until the retreat ended!  The picture included in this post is from that retreat. And I have a poster of Vallecitos Mountain Ranch in my office as a daily reminder to focus on the present.

May we all be able to enjoy the moments in our lives in a mindful way!

No comments:

Post a Comment