Friday, October 24, 2014

Change Is The Only Constant


Change is hard for me. Some people like it. Not me. So, when I found out over the summer that I was being assigned to a new high school for this school year, I was not happy. If you remember my previous blog posts (I know, I know, it’s been awhile…thanks to all the people who encouraged me to post again!), I LOVED the last last high school where I worked.


Fast forward a few months to today, when I’ve been at my school for a few months, and I LOVE it here, too. I’ve met a new group of amazing coworkers. We have lunch breaks filled with laughter, and we’re even going to start walking during our breaks (finding time to exercise with a 70 mile commute to work is challenging!) Plus, I still keep in touch with the wonderful people I worked with at my last school.

And, of course, with a new high school, comes new people filled with new questions and comments about my hair covering. Here’s a recent one.

Student: “You always wrap your hair, huh?”
Me: “Yep”
Student: “To keep it warm?”
Me: “Yep, now keep working.”  (I was in the middle of giving him a timed assessment, so I had to redirect him back to the task!)

I’ve realized that there really is a lot of change in our lives, and how much the word “change” is used:

Driving to work today stuck behind a slow car, I think, “That car needs to CHANGE to the slow lane!”

The Daylight Savings Time CHANGE coming up (Hopefully this helps with how dark it is when I leave at 6 am…it feels like the middle of the night!)

Another change in my life: I used to watch the sunsets over the ocean in college (perks of going to college on the beach, UCSB, represent!) Now I watch the sunrise over the desert on the way to work, like this one:


Common thread: G-d is behind all of these changes and knows what’s best for me. I reminded myself this when I found out about my school change, but it was still hard. Thank you, G-d, for giving me a reminder that everything really is for the best. And, when my next life change comes up, I’m going to read this blog post as a reminder to myself that this, too, is for the best!


Like what you read? Like my Facebook page !

2 comments:

  1. Change sure is hard to do sometimes. However, its always for the better :)

    Wow, you have a 70 mile commute to work!? that's insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is for the better! The commute is crazy, butt there's no traffic, so I just put it on cruise control and drive! I wrote about it in this post: http://jewintheschool.blogspot.com/2013/12/there-is-no-such-thing-as-coincidence.html

      Delete